God Be Merciful To Me
Words: Psalm 51, from "The Psalter" 1912
1. God, be merciful to me, on Thy grace I rest my plea. Plenteous in compassion Thou, blot out my transgressions now. Wash me, make me pure within, cleanse, O cleanse me from my sin.
2. My transgressions I confess, grief and guilt my soul oppress; I have sinned against Thy grace and provoked Thee to Thy face; I confess Thy judgment just, speechless, I thy mercy trust.
3. I am evil, born in sin; Thou desirest truth within. Thou alone my Savior art, teach Thy wisdom to my heart; Make me pure, Thy grace bestow, wash me whiter than the snow.
4. Broken, humbled to the dust by Thy wrath and judgment just. Let my contrite heart rejoice and in gladness hear Thy voice; From my sins O hide Thy face, blot them out in boundless grace.
5. Gracious God, my heart renew, make my spirit right and true; Cast me not away from Thee, let Thy spirit dwell with me; Thy salvation's joy impart, steadfast make my willing heart.